Thursday, June 16, 2011

Madhubani for Kids - DIY

Hello Friends


I am back with the promised tutorial. This post is also off to the Artsy Craftsy Challenge - Folk Craft in Shruti's blog, Mindful Meanderings. I am also linking it to Weekend Wrap Up 36 at Colours Dekor


We, Lil A (my lil assistant) & I, had a really good time making this. She was all ready for help...in fact she wanted to do it completely on her own:)


What I have done here is decor magnet for kids based on the artform, Madhubani . It is a folk art practised in the Mithila region of Bihar in India.



What you need:

Plastic sheet
Cardstock (colour of your choice)
A sketch (I have drawn a Madhubani sketch here. It's a folk art of Bihar, India)
Scissors
Glass Paints
Brush
Magnet
Glue

So, are you ready???
Get, Set.......GO!  







Now the Madhubani magnet is ready for decoration. Thanks to my lil assistant. Isn't it pretty interesting??? You can decorate it on fridge, lamp shades, clocks anywhere that you like provided it's a metal:))





That's not all...you can choose your own patterns, make some and even gift it to your family and friends.



Check out Shruti's blog for more of the Artsy Craftsy Challenge:




Madhubani painting comes from the Indian villages of Madhubani and Mithila in Bihar. Madhubani literally means ‘Forest of Honey’. There are paintings for each occasion and festival such as birth, marriage, holi, surya shasti, kali puja, Upanayanam (sacred thread ceremony), and durga puja. These paintings are done on various mediums such as cloth, handmade paper and canvas. The main themes of Madhubani paintings contain images of Hindu deities such as Radha, Krishna, Ram, Shiva, Durga, Lakshmi and Saraswati. Also you will be able to find beautiful Madhubani paintings of sun, moon and tulsi or the sacred basil plant revered very much by the Hindus. The themes of daily activities, nature, flora and fauna and Hindu Gods are the most prominent. They are characterized by the vibrant and bold use of colours and traditional geometric patterns that supports the main theme. Madhubani painting has been done traditionally by the women of villages.

Hues n Shades' very own Decor magnets :)




19 comments:

Unknown said...

wooohoo!! awesome tutorial :) thanks for linking in

Unknown said...

Deepa, the link to artsy-craftsy challenge is wrong. :) could you please correct it?

Deepa Gopal said...

Thank you Shruti...We loved creating it!!!

magiceye said...

this is wonderful!
thank you!!

Rajesh said...

Thank you. My kids will love this.

Chakoli said...

OMG

thats amzing...


I lll bookmark this and when I wud have kids I ll make sure they make it..
I knw looong term plan :P

nishaslifestyle.blogspot.com said...

what an amazing tutorial deepa!!! my kid vl love ths definitely...thx 4r sharing ths...

Purba said...

Heaven sent for Moms, who are wondering how to keep their kids engaged during the summer break.

painted princess collection said...

awesome tutorial
anandhirajan
www.anandhirajansartsncrafts.blogspot.com

Deepa Gopal said...

ThanQ Deepak:))

@Rajesh...kids will love it, my daughter does:)

@Chakoli, That's nice thought & good preparation dear:)

@Thanq dear Nisha:)

@Thanks Anandhi:)

Geetha said...

This is very nice Deepa. Let me show it to my daughter and see if she would try it!

Tomás Serrano said...

What a beautiful fish! What a beautiful art!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh!! so so gorgeous... awesome!! Your lil one is super talented.. Such an inspiration for us...

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

Oh man oh man, that looks like such fun & what gorgeous results. I love the colours on the fish & how customizable the techniqe is with the tracing. Incredible tutorial! (what a lot of work.)

Emreen said...

Very beautiful with step by step instructions.. Love your kids work.... !!!

Unknown said...

Wonderful Idea! I have been thinking of innovative gift ideas from a long time. You have just given me one.

www.hastkalaa.blogspot.com

nanditark said...

very easy-to-make-process... love it . very thanks for sharing...

Anonymous said...

Useful information. Lucky me I discovered your web site by accident, and I
am shocked why this twist of fate didn't took place earlier! I bookmarked it.
Here is my web site ... Family Oil Painting

Unknown said...

This is so incredible! Sharing your post :)